Original clockworks on view at Heights High
The original 1926 mechanism from the Heights High School clock tower is now encased and on display outside the main auditorium. It stands nearly 7 feet tall and weighs several hundred pounds.
The Heights Schools Foundation (formerly CHHS Alumni Foundation) raised $100,000 from more than 350 donors to contribute to the restoration of the clock tower. Edward F. Crawford '57 and family donated a signature gift to help fund the restoration.
The clock tower was completely rebuilt, taken down piece by piece, laser scanned and milled to exact specifications. The new frame is made from composite material, painstakingly copied from the original pieces, and will last well into the future. The new clock mechanism is digital.
Scott Wortman is the supervisor of communications for the Cleveland Heights-University Heights City School District.