Tigers athletes ink letters of intent
On Feb. 3, National Signing Day, 15 Heights High senior student-athletes officially announced the names of the colleges they will attend after graduation. National Signing Day is the first day that Class of 2016 high school athletes can sign binding letters of intent committing to college athletic programs.
Family, friends and team members attended the ceremony in support of the athletes, as did Talisa Dixon, superintendent, and Felisha Gould, assistant superintendent.
Mac Stephens, head football coach, Pat Gleba, assistant boys soccer coach, and Jeremy Holmes, head boys basketball coach, spoke proudly about the athletes.
The seniors then took turns speaking, expressing gratitude to their families, coaches, teachers and teammates. The event culminated in the ceremonial signing, followed by a standing ovation from the audience.
The following students signed letters of intent to play a sport at the college level:
- Zachary Ford, football, University of Toledo (Ohio)
- Raymond Hudson, football, Baldwin Wallace University (Ohio)
- Isaiah Jackson, football, Ashland University (Ohio)
- Kaduri Lockhart, football, Notre Dame College (Ohio)
- Demonte Meeks, football, Air Force Academy (Colo.)
- Devonte McGregor, football, Central State University (Ohio)
- John Miller, football, Hocking College (Ohio)
- Brandon Parks-Hayes, football, Hocking College (Ohio)
- Lee Price, football, Hocking College (Ohio)
- Jahquan Primm, football, Baldwin Wallace University (Ohio)
- Alphonzo Terry, football, Malone University (Ohio)
- Artemus Watts, football, Wittenberg University (Ohio)
- LeAndrew Woody, football, Malone University (Ohio)
- Gabriel Pewu, soccer, Cleveland State University (Ohio)
- Malik Smith, basketball, University of North Carolina, Asheville
The video of the ceremony can be viewed on the CH-UH district website, www.chuh.org/HighSchoolVideos.aspx.
Joy Henderson is the parent/community liaison for Heights High.