Heights High demolition nears completion
The demolition phase of the Cleveland Heights High School building, at the corner of Cedar and Lee roads, is nearly complete. External demolition, including the science wing, was completed in October, and the interior selective demolition will be complete by the end of December.
Inside the building, most of the interior walls will be eliminated to accommodate modern programming needs. However, the original red quarry tile on the hallway floors will be re-used, as will some of the original brick that was removed, and several external stone architectural elements.
Many truckloads of fill-dirt have been used to fill the basement areas (tunnels) under the former science wing. New foundations were recently installed, marking the start of construction on the new additions to the original 1926 building.
Joy Henderson is the parent/community liaison for Heights High.