CHHS athletes commit to colleges on National Signing Day
At Heights High’s National Signing Day event on Feb. 4, senior student athletes officially announced the names of the colleges they will attend next year. National Signing Day is the first day that Class of 2015 high school recruits can sign binding letters of intent with college programs.
In all, 10 Heights High seniors signed letters of intent. Their coaches introduced the students, each of whom then spoke about their high school careers and the many adults at the school who supported them. The students also thanked their families, who joined them on the stage.
Kristin Hughes, CHHS athletic director, welcomed the audience, comprised of the families and teammates of the student athletes.
The following students signed letters of intent to play their sports at the college level:
- Jon Bonner, football, Urbana University (Ohio)
- Jaylond Butler, football and track, University of Charleston (W.Va.)
- Gerron Fryer, football, University of Charleston (W.Va.)
- Chase Jackson, football, West Liberty University (W.Va.)
- Jonathan Jackson, football, Grand Valley State University (Mich.)
- Sean Kergan, football, West Liberty University (W.Va.)
- Mario Patton, football, University of Massachusetts
- Zander Perelman, soccer, Bucknell University (Pa.)
- Mervin Scott, football, Notre Dame College (Ohio)
- Simone Sollisch, softball, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Cathan Bricker is the communications administrative assistant for the Cleveland Heights-University Heights City School District.