Update on power outages in University Heights
[University Heights Mayor Susan Infeld sent the following update on power outages in the City via e-mail on Oct. 31.]
The Illuminating Company has reported that there are currently 374 customers in University Heights without power. Outage restoration efforts are expected to continue for several days with local crews being assisted by crews from Toledo, Dayton, Illinois, Missouri and Utah.
Please remember these safety tips:
- Never touch a line that is on the ground or hanging from an electrical pole.
- Do not attempt to remove trees or limbs from power lines because they could conduct electricity.
- Keep away from any downed wire that is near water.
- Stay out of flooded basements, even if the power is off.
- Unplug appliances, TVs and computers so they will not overload when power is restored.
- When operating a generator, disconnect the power coming into your home at the main power switch in the breaker box (a 60 amp, 100 amp or 200 amp breaker). This will ensure that a power surge does not go back outside to the power lines, creating a hazardous situation.
- Never use a grill or heater designed for outdoor use to heat your home because it could result in a deadly accumulation of carbon monoxide gas.
Residents without power who need to find temporary shelter can find it through these established agencies:
- The American Red Cross
- Thurgood Marshall Recreation Center, 8611 Hough Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 (wheelchair accessible with 24-hour security onsite)
- The Salvation Army, 216-781-3773
- St. Herman House of Hospitality, 216-961-3806
Susan Infeld is the mayor of the City of University Heights.