Heights Youth Club says 'Thank you!'
In June, five members of the Heights Youth Club and the club director, Roscoe Morgan, spent seven days immersed in the local communities and cultures of Managua, Nicaragua. The youths participated in an immersion project facilitated by International Partners in Mission (IPM). IPM works across borders of faith and culture on behalf of children, women, and youth to create partnerships that build justice, peace, and hope.
The young travelers shared their experiences with the Heights Youth Club Board of Directors at the board’s September meeting. They told exciting stories about life in Nicaragua:
- They learned to cook local dishes at the Center for Education and the Promotion of Holistic Health (CEPROSI).
- They helped build gardens at the local elementary school.
- They learned about the political history of Nicaragua, the Sandinistas, and the importance of fair trade
- They visited a live volcano at Massaya National Park.
- And in one village, a herd of bulls and goats came charging down the mountainside, right beside the outdoor classroom.
Roscoe Morgan, director of HYC, said that the trip was a great learning opportunity.
The travelers would like to publically thank the Sheffler family, the Heights Youth Club Board of Directors, and the Boys and Girls Club of Cleveland for sponsoring the learning opportunity of a lifetime.
Thanks for all your help in making the summer of 2011 great!
Anastasia, Alysia, Jeremy, Olivia, Natalie and Roscoe